Thursday, April 27, 2006

born free

Today was the last day of my job at Thai Chili Gardens. I have had the song "Born Free" stuck in my head all day. I only know the part with the words born free so I just keep singing that part over and over again, but I don't mind. As I was reflecting on my time working at the restaurant, I realized that there are definitely some things I will not miss. Such as, the most annoying cook in the world. He is the owner's immature son. I think in his head he actually thought he was black. I couldn't count the amount of times he said "word" or "that's the bomb" each day. (said with an attempt- to- be- a- rapper accent). His annoyingness was overwhelming. I will also not miss the whiny girls I worked with. Now, instead of their bellyaching, I can listen to something good, like fingernails scratching a chalkboard. Last, but not least, I will certainly not miss the annoying customers. The ones that don't appreciate anything you do for them or the ones that leave crappy tips, or the ones that demand your full attention when the restaurant is packed and you're the only server working.

There are however, some things I will miss. The owner's wife (Mon) is hilarious. Well, I usually don't know what she's saying because the only English she knows are the words on the menu, but she has the best laugh. I love it. Then there is another cook that is really nice and she knows a little more English than Mon. I feel bad for her because she has to spend the whole day in the kitchen with the annoying cook. There's also the regulars that come in that I will miss. The ones that order the same thing every time. I don't know why they don't get anything else, but if they like what they get, then that's okay with me. Last of all I will definitely miss the free Thai food. It is such delicious food. I will most likely go through withdrawals when I move back to Rexburg. But I guess that's a risk I'm going to have to make for the sake of my education.

If you ever do go to Thai Chili Gardens you have to try the following:

Spicy Pad Ped with Beef and Jasmin Rice
Chicken Satay
Golanga Coconut Soup and
the egg rolls

take it from me, these things are delicious.

1 comment:

deb said...

born free, as free as the wind blows...that is all I know. You leave tomorrow. Drive safely, and know that you are getting far far away from long haired man.