Sunday, March 05, 2006

Its been a while

I know that I was never very consistent with writing blogs, but it has really been a long time since i have written one. I would want to write about something, but then I felt like I never had anything good to write about. I don't really have anything good now, but I felt impressed to blog.

I am working as a waitress, (well i guess to be politically correct, server) at Thai Chili Gardens in Orem. Its my first time being a server and I have to say that its not that bad. When I went in to turn in my application, the owner asked me, "Have you ever been a server before?" Now all i understood was blah blah blah server blah. (sidenote: I have a really hard time understanding accents) So I said, "what?" and he asked again and this time all i heard was blah blah blah server before?" So, taking a guess I said "I haven't, but I have had plenty of experience working with food at Domino's." I guess this was the right answer because I started work 3 days later.

I was really excited to start working because that meant money which meant i would be able to eat and live under a roof during the next two semesters of school, but i was still a little nervous about the whole not understanding my boss when he attempted to speak english thing. Lo and behold, on Monday I found out that the cook is his wife, Mon, who speaks very little english with an even thicker accent, and his mother-in-law, who we call grandmon, (we don't actually know her real name) doesn't speak any english at all.

That morning I was trained for about an hour by another server and then they tried to help me memorize the menu. After that the lunch rush started and I was pretty much on my own. I was pretty good at taking peoples orders, but when people would ask me a question I was just like a deer in the head lights because I felt like I didn't know anything about anything. Then it was time to take out their food and I didn't know what any of the food was. Then started some of the craziness with the cooks. I would ask what something was and they would say something and I didn't know what they said, so I would guess what food they said and they would say somthing supposedly in english back to me, but I wouldn't understand anything. This would go on for a bit until another server would come into the kitchen and would tell me what the food was in nonaccented english.

A lot of the foods we have to garnish with some shredded carrots or parsley and when I would forget to do this Grandmon, who doesn't speak any english, would grab my arm and say, "eh, eh" and wave her hand at the carrots. I would garnish the food and as I would leave I could hear Grandmon saying something in Thai, which was probably, "That girl is pretty stupid."

This sort of thing happened for about two weeks everyday until I knew about everything on the menu. Also, my ears have been slightly trained to I can understand almost everything the Thai people say in broken english. I guess things are going pretty good for me and I'm having some fun adventures while working as a server, but you'll find out about those later.

6 comments:

Lorien said...

I'm so coming to visit you! I'll bring my brother--he went to Thailand, so he can explain Thai food to me, order in English, and translate any funny Thai things Grandmon might say. It'll be a great time! When do you work?

deb said...

I can definitely understand the whole language barrier thing. I can't understand Asian people for the life of me. I like them, don't get me wrong, but they baffle me. I'm sure you have some great stories about crazy customers, and I would like to hear them. Good thing you don't embellish.

dalene said...

Congrats on the job and welcome back to blogworld. We missed you.

And now for the really important question...how's the food? I love Thai food, but I've had some bad and I've had some pretty good. What about Thai Chili's?

JandB said...

its really good and i'm not just saying that because i work there. I get free food every time i work so when i bring it home i share it with the family and they all love it.

J Rock said...

oooh, thai chili garden. i've heard a lot about that place. tiffany macfarlane worked there for a summer a couple years ago and doesn't have many nice things to say about it. but i don't want to taint your experience, maybe it will be better for you.

and welcome to the wonderful world of serving! i've only been serving for 8 months and oh the stories i could tell you!

mama_aly said...

glad you're blogging again. your stories are fun. keep it up.