Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Putting People to Sleep 101

I have to give a talk in church on Sunday. Most people end up saying that they ended up being happy about giving a talk, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will only be glad when it’s over. I put some thoughts together and when I practiced saying it aloud, I realized that I am an extremely boring speaker! I don't know how to make anything funny when I’m talking about a house of prayer and a house of fasting. Plus, almost everyone in the ward is a returned missionary and I’m just some dope trying to say something they haven't heard before. Yeah, right. People usually like hearing stories, so I thought, "hey, I'll tell a great personal story." Only one thing wrong with that, I don't think I have a personal story about prayer or fasting. Maybe I could just make one up or I should actually do some real research and find a true story. Either way, I’m going to have to write another talk. I think I should start out by saying, "So, when brother Carter asked me to give a talk I was like, hey man I don't think so, " then I would sit down. hahaha, too bad that doesn't take up my whole 9 minutes that I’m supposed stand up in front of the entire ward for, feeling like, what’s the phrase, oh, yeah, a puss head. Hmm, I’ve never used that phrase before, but I don't think I would like feeling like a puss head.

6 comments:

deb said...

I promise I will give my best efforts to stay awake and laugh at your jokes. 100 percent effort right here.

JandB said...

I was thinking puss, as in infected, but it would also be funny if it was puss as in cat.

by the way, i think i did pretty good on my talk, but i only spoke for 7 minutes instead of the recommended 9.

Lorien said...

good on ya! I'm sure there was someone very happy to take those extra 2 minutes.

deb said...

Yep. And you know what, I thought that story about the girl praying in the bathroom with the fan on was hilarious. I even laughed out loud. Excellent job. Teach me to dance someday soon okay?

mama_aly said...

I'm sure you did well! :D

deb said...

I think you should write a blog about this dance you choreographed for FHE. Or just how things at the Thai resturant are going in general.