Saturday, February 03, 2007

Sorry, I gotta go, the phone is ringing!

I have been pretty busy lately ever since I got married. I'm working two jobs, one at Westridge and the other at Brent Brown Chevrolet as the receptionist. Jarred works at Brent Brown too, except he works outside in the cold while I'm inside in the warmth with a space heater under my desk.

There are some pretty interesting people in the car business and there are customers that are just as "special". Anyways, during slow times some of the salesman will occasionally come up and talk to me. Normally I'm okay with this because a lot of the guys here are nice enough. But then there are also the ones everyone else tries to avoid. However, I have a hard time avoiding these types because I have to stay at my desk in case a phone call comes in.

so this means that I'm stuck in a five square foot area while some guy is chomping up and down on his gum as spit flies out while he drones on about how selling cars is all in the mind. First of all, what the heck is that supposed to mean? Second of all, your weird!!!

okay, so I never said that to his face because I'm just too nice to do that. I've tried many ways to tactfully show that I am busy and can't talk, such as vigorously studying my philosophy textbook, but how long can anyone pretend to do that? I've also just not contributed to the conversation by just saying, "uhhuh, yeah, that's funny" but they don't get the clue that I'm not interested in talking with them.

so, I have come up with a new plan that just might work to keep the annoyers from talking to me for too long. On the phone that I use there is a button for how loud the volume is for the ringer. Normally I have it set to "off" because that way it only makes one small ring instead of one that keeps ringing and ringing when there are multiple people calling in at the same time. Anyways, when I push the button to make the ringer volume go up one notch it rings once to display how loud the ring will be.

Well, this will come in very handy when a salesman is blabbing on and on to me about who knows what. All I will have to do is slide my finger up to that button and push it once and the phone will "ring". I have to answer all the phone calls, which means I have to stop talking to whoever I'm talking to and pick up the phone. Then I will just say my little line of introduction to a dial tone and "transfer" them to someone then that will be that. If they are still at my desk after I'm off the phone then I will just do it again.

I think this is a brilliant plan! Hopefully it isn't too cruel. Should I not be such a pansy and just tell the salesman that I don't want to talk to him? What would you do?

7 comments:

dalene said...

I wanted to see if you wanted to come work for me--but we need a nine-month commitment and I knew you were leaving. Maybe when you get back--it's a good job and you even get paid holiday even if you only work part time.

Glad you're staying warm--even if you have to put up with crazy guys.

deb said...

man I hate phone jobs. I am wondering what you do at Westridge. I used to work there, but the afterschool program lost funding...and I lost a job. I would love to work there.

I think you live close to me. That is cool

Lyle said...

The phone trick beats having a can of bug spray and giving your office space a little spray anytime he comes around.

JandB said...

i tried the trick once today and it worked like a charm. he came up to talk to me about random stuff and all i did was push the little button and he was gone! its like magic, i love it!

deb said...

so, how did you get a job at Westridge? I am possibly in the market of looking for a new job.

JandB said...

qdebboe- well, i did have a little bit of an in there...my mom works there. they needed some reading tutors, i don't think they are hiring there anymore, but you can always call and ask.

deb said...

Okay. I used to work there. But that was many a year ago. Maybe I still have some pull...you never know.